Friday, September 16, 2011

Pesky little critters

The other day, Joe and I were sitting on Jalen's bed with Sugar Bear.

All the sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something..

I looked, and to my despair, I saw my worst Hawaiian nightmare.

It was a CENTIPEDE<<

EEEKKKKK....

I immediately ran and grabbed a flip flop, and handed it to Joe!

The nasty thing was squirming its way across our living room floor.

Joe hit it a few times, and man, that thing did not want to die.

Finally, after hitting it about 10 times, it was dead.

Its legs were all scattered about, so he had to get a wet paper towel to clean up the mess.

I just sat there with Hallie, watching in horror.

My SIL, Rachel, said, "centipedes are cute"!...

Ummmm, NO Rachel, caterpillars are cute..centipedes are scary!!

Ive heard that they have a very mean bite!

They have these fang like things, that they stick into you, and release a venom.

From what I have read and heard, they are only poisonous if you are allergic to them.

Kinda like a bee.

But, I have also heard it hurts REALLY bad!

My worst fear is one biting Hallie or Jalen....or ME! lol

I check my bed every time I get in it, and I have made Joe promise to also start checking it before getting in with Hallie Rose.

Later that night, Joe went to use the bathroom in the downstairs apartment, and what do ya know, there goes another one crawling across the freakin' floor!

Now, I lived in Hawaii for 6 months a while ago, and cleaned houses while I was here.

I only came across a centipede 1 time.

Luckily, I had a guy there to help get it.

This time around, we are living up in the rain forest/jungle though, and my concern is that there are more up here.

So, the past few nights, I have not slept well at all.

I'm afraid to straighten my legs in the bed, for fear one is going to be at the bottom of the bed.

I lay there thinking about how I just want to go back home to Kansas, where I'm safe in my bed at my clean, bug free, Slater home.

Oh, did I mention that they are NOCTURNAL?!?

Of course, I wake up in the morning, and I laugh at myself for being so paranoid, and realize that I'm in paradise, and I do not want to be back in Kansas in my comfy bed.

I want to be here, enjoying Kauai with my awesome husband and kids.

I tell myself that I need to not think about them, or that will attract more.

Which I whole heatedly believe.

I just pray to God that he keeps them far far away from me and my family!!

I don't mind the little gecko lizards crawling all over the house.

They are cute, and don't bother me at all.

The ants, roaches(which I have yet to come across, but I know they are there), and other bugs are all fine and dandy.

If only there were no centipedes in Hawaii, it would be the most perfect place in the world.

There is no such thing as perfect, though............

No comments:

Post a Comment