Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gluten-free homemade protein bars

Joe has been buying these vegan protein/energy/on-the-go bars.

After looking at the label, we noticed that they are filled with sugar, and don't seem to be all that good for you.

So, I decided to try and make my own.

Now, they are not completely sugar free, but they do not have corn syrup or white sugar. So, in my book, they are at least "healthier", which is a better option.

Even J-bird liked them, and he swears he doesn't like oats, raisins, or dried cranberries. If he only knew what was in them:)

I searched the Internet for the recipe that I thought sounded the best and looked at pictures to see which ones looked like what I wanted. This is what I came up with..

2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup nuts, crushed (I used almonds and cashews)
3/4 cup seeds (I used sunflower and hemp seeds) some others are flax seed, pumpkin or sesame
1/4 cup coconut (optional)
1 scoop protein powder (optional)
1 scoop superfood powder (optional)







2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey (or 1/4 cup honey, plus 1/4 cup raw agave)
4 T butter (I only used 2)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped dried fruit (I did cranberries and blueberries) and I did NOT chop them


Directions:


Pre-heat oven to 400.

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.


Mix all dry ingredients together, and place on baking sheet. Place in oven and toast for approx 10 min, or until seeds are toasted. Stir often to prevent burning.

While dry ingredients are toasting, line a 9x13 in rimmed pan with wax paper and spray with cooking oil.

Next, place a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Bring the mixture to a strong boil, and let boil for 2 minutes. Stirring constantly.

Turn off heat and add in vanilla.

Place toasted dry ingredients in a large bowl, adding the dried fruit.

Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

Using a wooden spoon or spatula (I used a plastic spatula that was damp and my damp hands), place the mixture into the 9x13 pan which is lined with wax paper. Press down firmly, as to flatten the mixture. Set aside and let cool for 1-2 hours.



After mixture has cooled, remove wax paper, and cut as desired.  ENJOY!!


This recipe can be modified in so many different ways.

The original recipe did not call for the coconut, protein powder, or superfood powder. I add that in myself. You just need to make sure the amount of  dry ingredients is about the same each time, so that there is enough of the liquid to cover it all. I always use organic ingredients also, but that is up to you!!

1 comment:

  1. You are totally the coolest daughter in the world---I love these bars!!!!

    ReplyDelete